Random thoughts from a unique character of arcane proportions

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Skipping, Sweeping & Curling

Well my fears of falling off balance on ice wearing running shoes were completely unfounded. Oddly enough, it turns out that running shoes stick really well to curling ice. What, what did he just say?? Seriously, you actually have to put a piece of tape (similar to the kind you wrap around your socks to keep your shin guards up in hockey) to skim around on the ice.

Well cheers to a really cool sport that is incredibly easy to learn, but insanely difficult to master and a pleasure to play. All my rocks went flying down the 'lane?' or whatever it's called. But that's ok, I had great support from my team when I was 'Skip' ("heya skip" Darryl Strawberry in Simpson's baseball episode) including one CFLer who plays for the Calgary Stampeders.

I won't bore you with the details of my ugly play, although I did have one really good shot where I took out one of the other team's rocks, and hard too, it made a really loud bang:) Heh heh heh, that'll learn em. Of course if I mention that shot I should also mention the 2 or three shots when I was attempting the same thing but knocked out my team's rock instead of theirs:( Oh well, that's curling.

Oh yeah, it's sooo tough to gage how fast the rock is actually going once you've released it. Sometimes, it looks like it's going fast, but then goes slow; other times it looks like it's going slow, but is, in fact, going fast. It plays havoc on my sweepers.

Ok, I'm going to add a link to a photo album on the web where I'll post some pictures here and there. For now, there will be just a few of the curling tournament last night.
http://groups.msn.com/TheCoolAGE/pictures

sorry everybody, I can't figure out how to make it an actual link. I tried to use the actual icon they have for me, but when I did that, the text didn't even show up on the post. Maybe Jeffie-Boy can help me out. Anyway, just copy, paste in a new browser to get there.

Jacob, I'm still as shocked as you are that we have yearly office curling tournaments (or bonspiels as they like to call them). I can't wait for the next one.

The Cool AGE:)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I'll have a go at it:

http://groups.msn.com/TheCoolAGE/picturesAhh there you go!

Kjetil

9:19 AM

 
Blogger The Cool AGE said...

Kjetil, you are the best!! Oh yeah, I don't think I every congratulated you on your country's victory in curling! So, congratulations to Norway, curling's champions of the world!! Although, there is another bonspiel this coming winter, in Italy isn't there? Well, I think the odds are somehow stacked in this Canadian/Italian's favour!! It must be fate:)

9:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home