Random thoughts from a unique character of arcane proportions

Friday, December 10, 2004

Adventures in a Steam Room ... sort of

I guess I'm lucky there are no pictures for this one huh:)

So let me set the stage; after my first workout in 2 weeks exactly, I decide to take a well deserved steam bath which looks like... well remember the Blues Brothers when they're trying to get that promoter to help them get a gig at that big hotel, and they remind the promoter of the favour they owe him; well, the room is something like that, except a lot smaller.

So I'm in there, the steam comes flushing out of the little drain things that are at the bottom of the floor, and a guy walks in. Oh oh, I've never been in there when someone else is in there, what's the protocol? Is it like the stand up stalls in the men's washroom where you just stare ahead of you and not say a word? ... "Hey how's it going?" or something to that effect. "Good, how are you?" just one of those rhetoricals and he understood as there was no reply. Or did he make it a rhetorical by not replying? Chew on that one for a while:)

We got into chit chat, and another guy walks in and conversation continues about the differences between the various clubs in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area - for all you outside Toronto types), and how at another club the steam room is actually like the one from The Blues Brothers and how, apparently, steam rooms are incredibly difficult to maintain because the steam just wreaks havoc with the foundation as it gets behind the tiles etc. And that's when I found out there was a dry sauna downstairs. YES!! I love those things, but I'm growing more and more fond of the steam room the more I use it. Oh well, maybe next time I'll venture downstairs for a new adventure.

Anyways, I guess it's not really an adventure, but this is the most that's going on lately, you know apart from movator frenzies and lessons in curling. Point is, I learned that you can talk in the steam room with strangers, but not at the urinal.

The Cool AGE:)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so the real question is, were you naked or were you wearing a towel? and for that matter, were the other guys naked? - that's quite a matza ball party going on over there

10:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never had a steam before... couldn't figure it out by looking in the window, so I never tried. Dry saunas are neat, but wet saunas are insane... especially when you've got a lake outside, and periodically leave the sauna to... well, go jump in a lake! Then go back in the sauna, and dump some water on the rocks, and let the steam sear the sunburn you got earlier in the day. Being a steamed duck is great.

Mid Brother.

4:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I posted a comment, but it didn't work. My first comment is a failure. Dammit.
Mid Brother.

4:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home