Random thoughts from a unique character of arcane proportions

Friday, January 14, 2005

Transit Etiquette

After having given reasons for why I love living where I do (see the "In the City, a country mouse story" post), I should be objective if I'm going to be a responsible blogger, and give the negative side to where I live. One of those is the rudeness of some people who ride transit. Remember, this does not reflect all the transit riders, just the few, and as always, it is the few that we remember and talk about, see aforementioned post.

As odd as it may see; given that I've grown up in a town that when they started public transit, a small group was formed to eliminate it, and it was done; I'm pretty good with transit etiquette. For instance there are a few simple rules that I'll enumerate here that some people just do not understand. The good thing is that the list is not exhaustive, but just a few that I need to get off my chest due to infractions I've seen others partake in, as well as infract upon me.

1) Rule: When getting off the street car, exit the rear doors.
Purpose: To ease flow on and off the streetcar so the people on the street car do not have to wait twice as long for an exchange of passengers. Also, so the people in the rain waiting for the streetcar can simply get in without having to wait for those getting off.

2) Rule: When entering the subway, stand beside the opening doors until all passengers wishing to exit the subway have left.
Purpose: If people cannot get off, others cannot get in. Also, if they are not allowed to get off, their time that is wasted is immense because they will have to get off at the next station, wait for the next subway going in the other direction and go back to the desired subway station. Where as the person waiting to get on would only have to wait a max of 2 minutes for the next subway.

3) Rule:
a) Do not where backpacks if standing
b) Do not have backpacks/briefcase etc on the seat next to you
Purpose: You are not that important to have your things taking up the space designated for people to use. If standing, by simply turning around, you bump into anything and everything. Also, why should someone not be able to sit down because your bag needs "room to breathe".

Well, as I said the list is not exhaustive, but if I went on I might get mad, & you wouldn't want to see that, Right JohnnyK & Melly:)!!

The Cool AGE:)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Other etiquette

Flying
I wouldn't call myself an experienced flyer, but I would like to mention a couple of things I've picked up on.

1) If you got seat towards the back end of the plane make sure to board early.

2) More importantly if you have a seat towards the front end of the plane, make sure to board among the latter ones.

If everyone follow these 2 points I am pretty sure every flight can save 20 minutes.

3) Now I am no expert, but when they say to turn of mobile (cell) phones my guess is taht there is a reason for it.

Driving
1) Out on the open road if you can count 1001, 1002, 1003 before you pass the same point as the car ahead of you, you're at a safe distance.

2) In France if you encounter som slow traffic, a problem or anything that slows you down make sure to beep even if it is your fault or noone's fault.

Life
Be kind and smile

Kjetil

11:41 AM

 
Blogger The Cool AGE said...

Kjetil, those are the best etiquette rules I've ever seen. Especially the smiling part:)

The Cool AGE:)

10:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home