Random thoughts from a unique character of arcane proportions

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Za?

Every so often, one encounters an event that forces that person to say, “Well, this is a new one” (That Seinfeld episode with the girl who is living with the ‘dude’). Well, that such an event happened this morning on the subway ride to work. So I’m sitting there in a seat, a seat that was picked at random where there was enough personal space for me and those surrounding me, when I look across to the other side of subway car in my ritual morning people scan (always looking for material for this blog – fortunately, or unfortunately, sometimes I find it) and there is this guy talking to himself. Nothing wrong with that right, well not yet, otherwise you would’ve clicked to another blog by now. But this guy, old guy, goatee, hood, most likely homeless & smelly, is talking the dirty talk to himself. Well, not really; upon further inspection, he’s talking the dirty talk to a girl, well a lot of girls, well, girls in a skin magazine! Flipping through quickly, he finished it, put it away (the magazine, he’s not that dirty), and pulled out another one, and continued to flip through, did I mention we were on the subway?

So, as I said, every so often, you get one of those “Well, this is a new one” moments. I guess you need to balance them out with the Quality of Life moments that are so required.

Such as the Quality of Life moment I mentioned in my post yesterday about going to Il Posto restaurant for St. Valentine’s Day. Chianti, Merlot, grilled calamari, lobster pasta & rack of lamb, polished off with a yummy chocolate torte & tiramisu cake. What was odd about this place was not the décor, nor the food – pretty standard city menu, but it was the way people interacted with each other. When Mary & I were out on Saturday (see previous post - Valentine's Cinnabon), we were the only one’s laughing and actually enjoying each other’s company while the others were just there as a guise using the dinner as pay off for what would happen later that evening (one paying for dinner, the other enduring the payer's ugly goblin like mug as company). It was quite a show, well, lack there of I guess you could say. Whereas last night everyone was talking to each other, laughing and actually engaging their partner/date. There was this one couple who must’ve been well into their 50’s and they were caressing each other’s hands like they had just started going out last month and are still in the throes of infatuation. It was really great to see.

Odd, maybe this city just brings about the best, the worst, and sometimes, even seldomly, the very “new” in people.

The Cool AGE:)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara Renner got a bronze. How about that?

7:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should have asked to borrow a magazine from that guy on the subway.
Brother Simone.

3:01 AM

 
Blogger The Cool AGE said...

I know, I should have but, you know, I would have only had it for like 3 stops, 2 really if you count having to ask & convince him to lend me one. I wouldn't have been able to actaully get a good glimpse of anything:) Well, plus I would have had to deal with the Normalizing Gaze of everyone on the subway. I'm not sure I would have been able to handle that kind of ridicule.

The Cool AGE:)
How about Sara Renner indeed!!

4:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home